Sunday, July 19, 2009

How It's Done

I had a couple of fun requests this weekend, the first being some fun cupcakes for Becky's daughter's birthday. She wanted something fun to go along with her "pink cowgirl" theme, so I decided to use a cowboy hat cutter I found. I made them out of pink and white fondant, and added some flowers and sprinkles to finish it up. I also tried a new strawberry buttercream recipe that was to die for!


Next was a cake for Shannon's friend's bridal shower. She had contacted me a while back to see if I could make a teapot for their tea party they were having. While I had never done one before, I was excited to try something new. I agreed, so here's some of the process for a change:

The bare cake- carved and shaped, and ready to be frosted. There was a board and dowels three layers up.


Some of the flowers as they were drying a bit...


The frosted cake ready for it's fondant layer (which I didn't get a pic of).


The finished product! I had a VERY hard time with the spout... I was NOT happy at all with the way it came out. As I was attaching it to the cake, the fondant started cracking with the pressure. Unfortunately I didn't have time to make another one, so I just had to leave it as a "lesson learned". Better luck next time, I guess, but the rest of the cake came out great!!
Hope it turned out like you hoped, Shannon!

5 comments:

  1. The cupcakes came out PERFECT!! So adorable! The strawberry frosting was defintely to die for...I can't wait to use again! You are truly talented! THANK YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're crazy, the teapot looks AWESOME, like Mrs. Pots from Beauty and the Beast. So amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. GREAT JOB ALY....AS ALWAYS!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So you have to practice a little with the spout. The rest of it is AWESOME. Next time it will be perfect I'm sure! To tell you the truth, I didn't even notice it until you pointed it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you are insane...absolutely insane...:-) and way talented

    ReplyDelete